About Me

My photo
I'm awesome, nerdy,and I love vintage things. My family is convinced that I was born in the wrong decade...but I'm pretty sure I am right where I need to be.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Epic Hair Fail

I'd like to think that I'm the best at styling vintage hair...well maybe in my own mind I am.

However, I am not always spot on with my hair styles. Sometimes I come out looking like a hot mess. I am brave enough to share some of those disasters with you.
Note: I am not wearing make up, and I might look completely busted in these pics. Just deal with it.


Here is the first style I attempted to recreate, because I have a snood (hair net) that is super cute and I wish I could wear it more. I am showing you the picture so you can sort of understand how it happened.
Photobucket
This is the first snood style from Lauren's book "Vintage Hairstyling"

What I got was this:
Photobucket
Caption: Vintage Mullet? No Thanks.

I thought adding a flower would be a good idea. Adding bows, ribbons, or flowers can cover a mutitude of sins, but this disasterpiece was busted beyond repair.

And no, I haven't retried this style since. It's just not meant to be.

Next, I went for the old faithful, the Victory Roll:
Photobucket
I'm like a landshark, just look at that fucking fin.
*cue Jaws music*

The good news here is that I've almost mastered Victory rolls and they are pretty cute on me.

I was feeling a little 50's, so I tried to do a beehive. Good idea, right?
Photobucket

WRONG. I might as well just call my vato's and lean like a chola. To bad I lent my sharpie to my cousin for her quinceanera........


I guess the moral of this story is that being glamorous isn't always glamorous.

2 comments:

  1. I feel you. Vintage hair kicks my butt every time. I've had some success using Hot Sticks to do a faux pincurl set. Other than that, I pretty much fail. I wish that the retro hair salons in my area would host teaching days. Hands on instruction would be a big help. Anyhoo, I don't think the snood style you tried is that bad. Except for the fly-aways, it looks pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes. I struggle with vintage hairstyles as well. Is your hair very fine? mine is, and I've been told setting lotion is the key. I used some for the first time recently but in conjunction with vintage hot rollers that didn't actually stay put so... epic FAIL. next week I will try again with regular velcro rollers.

    ReplyDelete