About Me

My photo
I'm awesome, nerdy,and I love vintage things. My family is convinced that I was born in the wrong decade...but I'm pretty sure I am right where I need to be.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Dress Woes

I'm still in the planning phase of my dream dress construction. I'm a little upset because the pattern I had originally planned to use now doesn't seem like the best for what I am trying to accomplish.

I want a dress with a full skirt, something that is light and airy. I also want a fitted bodice with a defined waist, and sleeves.

Today, I decided to shop Vogue Patterns to get the dress pattern confirmed and sort of browse. When I came across the pattern I originally picked, I noticed that Vogue was now offering pictures of the garments made with the patterns they were selling. This is something they had not done before. I decided to take a gander and wow, it has totally changed my perceptions about a lot of patterns on their site. Some patterns I hated, some I loved. The drawings don't really show how the item can turn out.

Anyway, here are the patterns and such.
Photobucket
This is the original pattern I was considering. Please note the white dress. I wanted more of a sleeve, but it seemed to be enough, and the length looks good. The bodice has some gathering, but I didn't pay much mind to it.

Then I saw this:
Photobucket
This is a mess. Look at that RAPE YOUR EYES print. I wouldn't have picked that fabric for this dress in 5050557239855897 years.
Also, what happened to the sleeves?
Look at those terrible pleat like gathers in the skirt. GARBAGE

So, as much as I want to believe this dress would be cute, I have a hard time believing it.

So then I saw this pattern:
Photobucket
Please note the floral dress.

I looked at it and thought, I guess that could work. Then I scrolled over to the rl picture:
Photobucket

I think the print is a bit much, but I really like the way this dress looks. The skirt isn't as long as I want (that's not really a problem). The bodice looks fitted, and is pretty straight forward....it also has sleeves.
The more I look at it, the more it makes sense to use as my pattern.


I am really leaning toward the 2nd pattern. Probably going to pick it up soon and get started on things!

No comments:

Post a Comment