About Me

My photo
I'm awesome, nerdy,and I love vintage things. My family is convinced that I was born in the wrong decade...but I'm pretty sure I am right where I need to be.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Dreams meet Reality

Remember my entry about my dream dress?

Well, I was wondering about the cost to start working on such an endeavor, and would I be able to afford such an expense, especially after shelling out $220.00 to get my sewing machine fixed. (And yes, my machine is still in the shop, I'm borrowing a coworker's sewing machine.)

Currently, I have some 50% off coupons for Joann's, so I plan on getting most of my supplies there, since I can pick the fabric in person, take it home and work on it, plus I won't have to pay for shipping. When I bought my fabric for my current project (strawberry fields top) I looked at what Joann's had, and I was pretty happy with the selection.

I've chosen an emerald green taffeta
Photobucket

and a cream colored lace
Photobucket

The lace doesn't look cream here, but it does in person.

I've also decided a few things for this project as well. I've decided to try my hand at invisible zippers, which are pretty difficult, however they blend in with the fabric and tend to look a lot more polished. I want this dress to look 100% awesome and I feel like adding small things like an invisble zipper will enhance it's appearance.
However, I will have to get an invisible zipper foot for my machine in order to do that. It adds to the cost, but I feel that it is worth the investment.

So, without further ado, here is the cost break down:

$15.98* Lace Fabric
$11.96 Emerald Green Taffeta
$10.00 Vogue Pattern 8446
$3.19 22 inch Invisible zipper
$2.59 Thread ( I don't have any in the right color in my current stock!)
$2.29 Invisible Zipper for For Singer Machines/Coats and Clark Zippers
$5.99 Lining Fabric
$4.42 Taxes
TOTAL $56.42

* 4 yards, this is after the 50% off coupon discount is taken.

Hmm Let's see.....Custom made, custom fitted one of a kind dress to wear to Marine Boy's homecoming for $56.00.....Can I afford it?
YES I CAN

I could buy something off the rack for much cheaper in this instance, but it wouldn't be THIS dress.

I'm sold, this dress just got bumped up to next project on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment