About Me

My photo
I'm awesome, nerdy,and I love vintage things. My family is convinced that I was born in the wrong decade...but I'm pretty sure I am right where I need to be.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Serging Feelings

So, It would seem I've reached the point in my sewing that I am ready to start thinking about investing in a Serger.

As of current, I already own a Serger that is collecting dust. It was free from a person on Freecycle. It's a decent model of serger (White brand) and it's probably a late 80's model. The only thing it came with was the serger it self, the foot pedal, and a dingy dust cover.

I ordered the manual for it, and attempted to thread the bastard (after a through cleaning...yuck.) and it worked...for a little while. I know it needs to be serviced, and I need to get some different presser feet for it. At this point, I'm not sure that it's actually in working order.....it sort of stopped working...but that could be because of improper threading, wrong needle used, me being a moron at sergers, etc.

Bottom line: Regardless of working condition, it desperately needs to go to the sewing machine repair shop and get worked on. When Doris had her gears replaced, it cost me about $220.00.....now the serger won't cost that much to get looked at, but it could cause up to that to get it serviced. Sewing Machine repairs are not cheap.

Currently, I am trying to decide what I want to do with the serger I have. Should I take it to the repair shop, invest some money into it (i.e. getting the correct presser feet for it and cutting blade for it), or say fuck it and get a new one all together (new one would run about $200.00)?

I've been sitting on it for so long....I need to do something with it. I also need to make room in my already cramped sewing room for it....which is another problem all together.

I have quite a few options here....and I just wonder what the best route will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment