About Me

My photo
I'm awesome, nerdy,and I love vintage things. My family is convinced that I was born in the wrong decade...but I'm pretty sure I am right where I need to be.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Big Doris's New Home

Who is Big Doris?

Big Doris is my 1979 Singer Stylist sewing machine. I've had her since I was 13 years old. My mom taught me to sew when I was just a wee one, and when I got a little older, I begged for a sewing machine. After she past, some friends of the family found me this older model sewing machine and gave her to me for Christmas. I've loved and used her ever since. I've only ever had her break on me once, and that was after 10 years of frequent use and several moves. She had all her gears replaced and it ran me about $200.00. Worth every penny.

For ages, my dining room table also moonlighted as my sewing table. That was a major hassle because when I wanted to eat dinner, I had to put away Doris and move the project I was working on. It was a huge pain in the ass.

I mentioned that I was on the look out for some sort of sewing cabinet to one of my seamstress friends casually one day. While I told her my plight of my multitasking dining room, she told me she would look out for something for me.

A few weeks later, she called me with great news. She had an extra sewing cabinet she would give to me. FREE SEWING CABINET!? YES PLEASE.

She and her husband delivered it to my apartment and I placed Big Doris in it. It wasn't a perfect fit, but it works just wonderful for me.

Here she is in my little sewing corner of my sewing room. Complete with Murphy's laws hanging on the wall.


Look at that extra storage space! Complete with SPOOL RACKS!! YESSSS!

Now Doris has a home, and my dining room table can be just that, a dining room table.

No comments:

Post a Comment