About Me

My photo
I'm awesome, nerdy,and I love vintage things. My family is convinced that I was born in the wrong decade...but I'm pretty sure I am right where I need to be.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Frugal Living: Freeganism

Photobucket

Recently, I've been hearing about all these new ways people are using to save money, yet enjoy a high quality of life. One of the more extreme things I have heard of is: Freeganism, also known as dumpster diving.

These, "Freegans" go around to high-end grocery stores (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc) and dumpster dive for food.

That's right people, they get all of their food from the garbage.

Advocates of the practice say they use "common sense" about the food they retrieve from the trash, making sure that packaging is still intact, or that the food is free from mold or decay.

Personally, I don't think I would have much problem with eating the food if I had properly inspected it (Have you ever shopped the "Manager's Special" foods at the market that have been reduced to pennies on the dollar for swift sale? I see it as the same amount of risk.) however, I would be mortified if someone caught me. And I'm not entirely sure that it is legal.

Here is a really interesting news piece on the Freeganism movement: Dumpster Diving

I don't think I could commit to going to this extreme to save money, but the issue does get me thinking about all the food that people waste. While I don't think I could become a "Freegan", I do think they are making a small difference in reducing waste, and I think that's pretty great. We are a wasteful nation, indeed. I wish more people would attempt to reduce their waste, and adhere to "Make Do and Mend."

Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment